The Kenya National Examinations Council
K.C.P.E 20 11
Time: 2 hours
Instructions to candidates (Please read these instruction: carefully)
1. You have been given this question booklet and a separate answer sheet. The question booklet contains 50 questions.
2. Do any necessary rough work in this booklet.
3. When you You have chosen your answer, mark it on the Answer sheet. not in the question booklet
How To Use The Answer Sheet
4. Use only an culinary pencil.
5. Make sure that you have written on the answer sheet
Your index number
Name of your school
6. By drawing a dark line inside the correct numbered boxes mark your full index numbe (ie school code numbered the three figure candidate’s number) in the grid near the top of the answer sheet
7. Do not make any mark outside the boxes
8. Keep the sheet as clean as possible and do not fold it
9. For each of the questions 1-50 four answers are given. The answers are labeled A, B, C and D. In each case only one of the four answers is correct. Choose the correct answer. 10. On the answer sheet the correct answer is to be shown by drawing a dark line inside the box in which the letter you have chosen is written
In the question booklet 11. what is the value of 6(24 – 18)+6 x 4/6? A. 30
The correct answer is C (10)
On the answer sheet
4. [A] [B] [C] [D] 14. [A] [B] [C] [D] 24. [A] [B] [C] [D]
34. [A] [B] [C] [D] 44. [A] [B] [C] [D]
11. Your dark line must be within the box
12. For each question only one box is to be marked in each set of four boxes
1. What is 9301854 written in words?
A. Nine million three thousand and one, eight hundred and fifty four.
B. Ninety three and one thousand, eight hundred and fifty four.
C. Nine million three hundred and one thousand eight hundred and fifty four.
D. Nine hundred and thirty thousand eighteen hundred and fifty four.
2. What is the value of
A. 2 B. 14 C. 18 D. 24
3. What is 4.59954 written correct to three decimal places?
4. Wm is the L.C.M of 30, 45 and 50? A. 15
5. What is the place value of digit 2 in the product of the total value of digit 4 multiplied by the total value of digit 3 in the number 57438?
6. Jebet bought the following items: 3 packets of maize flour at sh.90 each 2 kg of beans for sh 170 1 1/2 kg of potatoes at sh 40 per kg 2 loaves of bread at sh 34 each If she had sh 800,how much money was she left with?
A. sh 62
B. sh 232
C. sh 466
D. sh 568
7. What is the value of x in the equation
2(x + 1)/3-4 = 6
8. The area of a square is 3844 cm”. What is the length of each side of the square?
A. 1922 cm
B. 961 cm
9. Which is the correct order of writing the fractions 2/5, 4/15, 1/6, 1/2, 2/3 starting from the smallest to the largest‘?
A. 4/15, 2/5, 2/3, 1/6, 1/2 B. 2/3, 1/2, 2/5, 4/15, 1/6 C. 1/2, 2/3, 2/5, 1/6, 4/15 D. 1/6, 4/15, 2/5, 1/2, 2/3
10. In the triangle PQR below, construct the bisectaor of angle PQR to cut line PR at M and the bisector of angle QPR to cut line QR at N‘ The two bisectmjs intersect at point X. Join RX.
What is the size of angle RXM?
11. How many fencing posts, spaced Sm apart, are required to fence a rectangular plot measuring 745 m by 230 m?
12. Awinja bought a pair of shoes for sh 810 after getting a discount of 10%. What was the marked price of the pair of shoes?
A. sh 81
B. sh 729
C. sh 891
D. sh 900
13. The table below shows the amount of milk delivered by a farmer to the dairy in 6 days.
What was the median sale of milk, in litres, for the 6 days?
B. 19 1/3
c. 20 1/2
14. Mutiso and Oluoch shared the proﬁt of their business such that Mutiso got gr of the proﬁt. What was the ratio of Mutiso’s share to Oluoch’s share’?
A. 3: 2
B. 5: 3
C. 3: 5
D. 2: 3
15. What is the value of 0.5 +0.2 +0.25/0.2
C. 4. 5
16. Mulwa had 5 one thousand shillings notes, 7 ﬁve hundred shillings notes, 10 two hundred shilling notes and 6 one hundred shillings notes. He then changed the money into ﬁlly shillings .
notes. How many notes altogether did he get?
B. ll 100
C. 2 220
17. The ﬁgure below is a map of a village drawn to the scale 1:250 000
What is the perimeter of the village in kilometers?
18. A cylindrical container has a circumference of 176 cm and a height of 40 cm. What is the volume of the container in urn’? (Take n = 22/7})
D. 3 520
19. What is 1/2 (3x + 4y) + 1/5 (2x + 7y)- 1 1/4x – 1/2y in a simplified form
A. 13/20x + 2 9/10y
B. 13/20x + 10 1/2y
C. 3 3/20x + 3 9/10y
D. 4 1/4x + 2 9/10y
20. The ﬁgure below is a sketch of a triangle XYZ in which angle ZXY=50°, angle YZX=70° and line ZX= 6cm
Which one of the statements below leads to the correct construction of the triangle?
A. Use a ruler to draw line ZX=6cm long and drop a perpendicular from Y to ZX. Then join Y to X and to Z.
B. Use a ruler to draw line ZX=6cm long and a pair of compasses to construct angle ZXY=50° and YZX=7O°.
C. Measure and draw the angles ZXY=50° and YZX=70° using a protractor and draw line ZX =6cm long.
D. Use a ruler to draw line ZX=6cm long. Use a protractor to mark off an angle 70° at Z and angle of 50° at X Let the lines formed by the angles meet at Y.
21. Each of the diagonals of a rectangular ﬂower garden is 65m. If one side of the garden measures 25m, what is the measurement” of the other side?
22. A meeting was attended by 150 people. Out of these. 0.14 were men, 0.2 were women and the rest were children. How many more children than women were these?
23. The triangle PQR shown below has been drawn accurately.
what is the size of angle QPR?
24. Mwaruwa is paid sh 3750 after working for 25 days. How much money would he be paid if he does not work for 4 days?
A. sh 600
B. sh 4464
C. sh 4350
D. sh 3150
25. A family uses decilitres of milk each day. How many litres of milk altogether would the family use in the months of June and July?
C. 30.0 D. 3.05
26. In the triangle ABC below, construct a perpendicular from A to meet line BC at N.
Which one of the following statements is correct?
A. Line AN bisects line BC
B. Angle BAN is equal to angle CAN
C. Angle ANB is equal to angle ANC
D. Line AB is equal to line BN.
27. The graph below shows the journey made by a social worker on a certain day
Between which two places was his speed the highest?
A. Home and school
B. School and health centre
C. Health centre and the market
D. Market and home.
28. What is the value of p(2r + q) —r/q, where p=3,q—p = 4 and r = p+q/2?
A. 8 5/7
B. 6 4/7
C. 2 2/7
29. What is the surface area of a cylindrical rod of height 17 cm and diameter 14 cm?
(Take n = 22/7)
A. 748 cm
B. 902 cm
C. 1056 cm’
D. 2728 cm‘
30. What is the value of 2 1/2 – 2/3 +7/8 x 5/7- 1 2/5 of 5/6?
A. 3 5/24,
B. 2 23/168
C. 1 97/336
D. 1 1/8
31. Halima bought 50 bananas @ sh 3 each. She spent sh 75 for transportation. During transportation 5 bananas got spoilt but she sold the rest making a 20% proﬁt. For how much did she sell each banana‘?
A. sh 4.00
B. sh 5.40
C. sh 5.60
D. sh 6.00
32. Two sides of a parallelogram EFGH have been dfawn beluw. Colnpiae the parallelogram EFGH. Draw diagonals EG and FH to intersect at J.
What is the length of line FJ? A. 2.76 cm
B. 3.50 cm
C. 4.4 cm
D. 6.5 cm
33. Mutuma leftMombasa on Tuesday at 6.30 pm. and took 8 hours 45 minutes to reach his home. On what day and at what time in a 24 hour system did he reach home? A. Wednesday 0315 h
B. Wednesday 1515 h
C. Tuesday 1515 h
D. Tuesday 0315 h
34 The pie chart below represents the population Working Space of 1800 animals in a farm.
How many more chickens than goats are there in the farm?
35. A car traveled 216 km at an average speed of 48km/h. On the return journey the avarage speed increased to 72km/h. Calculate the average speed, in km/h for the whole journey?
36. Which one of the statements below is a property of a right angled triangle‘?
A. All sides are equal.
B. Adjacent angles are supplementary.
C. Two of its sides are perpendicular.
D. The longest side of the triangle is opposite the smallest angle.
37. A mathematics text book has 97 sheets of paper and a cover. Each sheet of paper has a mass of 4 grams and the cover has a mass of 20 g. Find the mass of the book in kilograms.
38.The diagram below is a trapezium MNPQ.Line MQ is parallel to line NP.The length of line MQ = 8cm and that of line NR = 7cm The perpendicular line MR-=12cm.
If the area of the trapezium is 198cm‘, what is the length of RP‘?
39. Ali is now two yuan older than Martha. If Mania’s age is represented by x, what will be their total age after 10 years? A. 2x+22
40.A football match was attended by 42000 men. The number of women who attended was 27000 less than the number of men and 12000 more than than the number of children. The entrance fee for adults was sh 100 and for children was sh 50. How much money was collected all together?
A. sh 11700000
B. sh 7500000
C. sh 7050000
D. sh 5850000
41. In the ﬁgure below EFG is a straight line. Working Space Lines GH and FH are equal and lines HI and Fl are also equal. Angle GHF is a light angle and angle HIF is 32°. What is the size of angle EFI?
42. The table below shows pan of Tariff for Ordinary Money Order and Postapay.
Karimi has two children in one school. To pay for their school fees he sent sh 8900 by Ordinary Money Order and sh 15100 by Postapay. How much money would he have saved had he bought one Ordinary Money Order to pay for all the fees?
A. sh 125
B. sh 400
C. sh 525
D. sh 925
43. Nina is mid a basic salary of sh 8000 as a sales agent. In addition she is paid a 5% commission for goods sold above sh 15000. In one month she earned sh 12000 altogether. What was the total sales? A. sh 255 000
B. sh 95 000
C. Sh 80 000
D. sh 65 000
44. What is the next number in the pattern 4, 9, 25, 49, 121, 169, -—-‘.7 A. 289
45. The marked price of a motorcycle was sh 30000 but a discount of 5% was allowed for cash payment. Taabu bought the motorcycle an hire purchase terms by paying a deposit of sh 8500 followed by ten equal monthly instalments of sh 2400 each. I-low much money would Taabu have saved had she bought it for cash?
A. sh 4 000
B. sh 2 500
C. sh 1 500
D. sh 28 500
46. Figure ABCDE below represents a vegetable garden in which AE=12m, AB=36m and CD=24m. Angle DEA is a right angle. The distance from A to D is 15m. A perpendicular dlstsnee fromC to AB is 10m.
What is the area of the garden?
A. 474 m‘
B. 390 m
C. 354 m’
D. 300 m
47. A tailor made 48″pieces of uniform. Half of the number of the uniforms was each made using 1 1/4 meters of material.A quatre of the remainder was each made using 1/2 metres a of the material and the rest was made using 1 3/4 meters 13 metres of material. The tailor also ﬁxed a logo made using 1/16 meters of material on each uniform.
How many metres of material did the tailor use?
A.72 1/2 meters
B. 72 meters
c. 70 9/6 meters
D. 70 1/2 meters
48. The table below shows the train fares for Nairobi—Mombasa route.
The following passengers travelled in the train:
23 pupils of age 12 years and above
12 pupils aged between 7 and 10 years
2 children below 3 years
The passengers occupied the following classes in the train:
1st class: Headteacher; 1 parent
2nd class: 5 teachers, 2 parents and all pupils and children
How much money did they pay for the journey to Mombasa?
A sh 119 560
B. sh 151 300
C. sh 156 100
D. sh 64080
49. A man deposited sh 50000 in 3 bank for 2 Working Sum years. The hank paid compound interest at the me of 10% per annum. How much money was in his account at the end of the two years?
B. sh 55 500
C. sh 60000
D. sh 60 500
50. The ﬁgures below represent a pattern
Which one of the following is the next shape in the pattern above’?
Free KNEC KCPE Past Papers Mathematics 2011 Answers
KCPE 2011 ANSWERS