K.C.P.E 2020 Science
1. In which part of the digestive system are mineral salts absorbed?
C. Small intestines.
D.✔ Large intestines.
2. Which one of the following is the correct order of development after fertilisation in human beings?
A. Embryo Zygote — Foetus.
B. Zygote — Foetus — Embryo.
C.✔ Zy3ote — Embryo Foetus.
D. Eliibryo — Foetus — Zygote.
3. Which one of the following is an adaptation of plants in dry areas?
A.✔ Fewer leaves.
B. Broad leaves.
C. Thin cuticle.
D. Many stornata.
4. The following are some characteristics of weeds:
(i) strong smell
(ii) thorns on stem
(iii) pink flowers
(iv) purple or white flowers
Which two characteristics are for sodoiii apple?
A. (ii) and (iii)
B.✔ (ii) and (iv)
C. (i) and (iii)
D. (i) and (iv)
Which two characteristics are for sodom apple?
A. (ii) and (iii)
B.✔ (ii) and (iv)
C. (i) and (iii)
D. (i) and (iv)
5.The human tooth that mainly helps to tear meat from bones is
6. Which one of the following instruments is used to measure two different aspects of weather?
A. Wind vane.
C. Rain gauge.
7. Which one of the following is a proper use of drugs?
A. Taking wore dosage of prescribed medicine to heal faster.
B.✔ Buying prescribed drugs from the pharmacy.
C. Borrowing dnigs front a neighbour whenever sick.
D. Taking malaria drugs whenever you have a headache.
8. ln Kenya, rivers passing through cities are
mainly polluted by
A.✔ industrial wastes
B. oil spillage
C. soil erosion
D. agricultural chemicals.
9. Which one of the following pairs of vaccines is administered at birth?
A. BCG and DPT.
B. DPT and measles.
C.✔ BCG and polio.
D. Polio and measles.
10. Which one of the following is the least effective control measure for sexually transmitted diseases among married couples?
A. Being faithflil to their partners.
B. Use of sterilised personal items.
C. Testing and counselling.
11. Which one of the following statements is true about blood vessels?
A. Aorta has valves.
B.✔ Vena cava has thin walls.
C. Pulmonaiy vein carries deoxygenated blood.
D. Pulmonary artery carries blood to the
12. In order to save soap during washing, the most siiitable source of water is
13. Pupils observed that some objects with hooks had stuck on their clothes. The objects are likely to have come from
A. sodom apple
B. mexican marigold
C.✔ black jack
14. An individual with teeth problems is likely to have started by experiencing
A. bleeding gums
B. tooth decay
D.✔ bad smell.
15. Which one of the following methods can control both ticks and liver flukes?
A.✔ Rotational grazing.
16. Which one of the following is the importance of pretest counselling for HIV/AIDs? To
A. avoid spreading the disease to other people
B.✔ understand the risk of contracting the disease
C. understand the importance of good nutrition for healthy living
D. give advice on living positively with the disease.
17. The following are some characteristics of cross pollinated flowers:
(i) small and firmly attached anthers
(ii) produces many pollen grains
(iii) stigma is inside the flower
(iv) stigma is sticky
(v) stigma hangs outside the flower
(vi) flowers are large in size
Which four characteristics are only for insect pollinated flowers?
A ✔(i), (iii), (iv), (vi)
B. (i), (ii), (iii), (iv)
C. (iii), (iv), (v), (vi)
D. (ii), (iv),(v), (vi)
18. In which one of the following actix•ities 1s water used for transport?
B.✔ Boat crossing a river.
C. Boat racing.
19. Which one of the following disease syinptoiiis is for cholera?
A.✔ Vomiting and diarrhoea.
B. Itchiness and coughing.
C. Blood in stool.
D. Blood in urine.
20. Which one of the following parts of the digestive system does not produce digestive enzymes?
A. Small intestines.
C.✔ Large intestines.
21. Which one of the following is the most effective control measure against the spread of malaria?
A. Sleeping under a mosquito net.
B. Use of mosquito repellant.
C. Treating of infected persons.
D.✔ Draining of stagnant water.
22. Which one of the following is a social effect of drug abuse?
B. Black out.
C. Impaired judgement.
D.✔ Drug induced accidents.
23. Which one of the following pairs consists only of plants with fibrous roots?
A. Sorghum and peas.
B. Millet and mango.
C.✔ Coconut and maize.
D. Onion and potato.
24. Which one of the following practices can
reduce the pollution of both soil and air?
A. Burying solid waste.
B.✔ Use of incinerators.
C. Proper stocking.
25. Pupils put a sample of fresh garden soil in a transparent container, added water, shook the mixture and allowed it to settle for some time. The pupils were investigating soil
26. The soil that has high capillarity
A. consist of large particles
B.✔ has high water retention capacity
C. is the best for farming
D. has large air spaces.
27. The type of soil erosion that can occur without its effects being easily noticed is
28. In which one of the following practices is energy best conserved? Using
D.✔ solar panel.
29. Which one of the following is not a reason for breast feeding in human beings? Breast milk is
A.✔ free from germs
B. readily available
C. easily digested
D. at correct temperature.
30. A certain child showed the following signs and symptoms:
(i) protruding bones
(ii) wrinkled face
(iii) eyes popping out
(iv) high appetite
The most suitable food for the child is
A. banana, chapati, pawpaw
B. beans, tigali, fish
C.✔ meat, chapati, pawpaw
D. milk, peas, fish.
31. Which one of the following pairs of food is preserved by both drying and use of honey?
A. Meat and vegetables.
B.✔ Fruits and fish.
C. Fish and milk.
D. Fruits and vegetables.
32. The diagram below shows a set up that was used by pupils to investigate expansion and contraction.
Which one of the following is a correct
observation made by the pupils?
A.✔ Water rose up the biro tube on cooling the bottle.
B. Bubbles were observed on cooling the bottle.
C. Water rose up the biro tube on heating the bottle.
D. The biro tube expanded on heating the bottle.
33.Heat transfer through a glass window pane is by
A. radiation and convection
B. radiation only
C. conduction and radiation
D.✔ conduction only.
34. Which one of the following is the main reason why tanks are placed on top of buildings? It is to
A. prevent theft of the tank
B. prevent contamination of water
C. completely drain the water
D.✔ increase water pressure.
35. The diagram below shows a single fixed pulley in use.
Which one of the following will occur when the rope is pulled down on the effort side?
A. The load reduces.
B.✔ Direction of effort changes.
C. Effort reduces.
D. Direction of the load changes.
36. The diagram below shows a set up used by pupils in a certain investigation
The pupils were investigating
37. In order to make a beam balance, pupils were provided with strings, plank of wood, nails and timber. Which one of the following materials was also required?
38. The diagram below represents a set up that can be used to investigate good and poor conductors of electricity.
Which one of the following materials when connected to the wire at the gap will not make the bulb to light?
C. Razor blade.
D. Pencil tip.
39. Which one of the following processes on change of states of matter does not involve absorption of heat from the environment?
A. Leaning against walls.
B. Walking on open areas.
C. Wearing shoes with rubber soles.
D. Using an umbrella.
40. The component of air that is 0.03% by volume is used for the following except
A. putting out fire
C. making of plant food
D. preserving soft drinks.
41. In an investigation on characteristics of matter, pupils filled different shaped containers with water as shown in the set up below.
The characteristic of matter investigated is that liquids
A.✔ have definite volume
B. have definite mass
C. occupy space
D. have definite shape.
42. The diagram below shows a certain livestock parasite.
The livestock parasite is
A. tsetse fly
43. Which one of the following methods of grazing is recommended for a farmer who wants to keep many animals on his farm?
44. Which one of the following is an adaptation for hopping and leaping animals?
A.✔ Lois anal strong hind limbs.
B. Strearrilined bodies.
C. Short and muscular front legs.
D. More weight on the front legs.
45. Which one of the following groups of animals consist only of invertebrates?
A. Salamander, newt, toad.
B. Tilapia, scorpion, grasshopper.
C.✔ Snail, crab, spider.
D. Fly, bat, mosquito.
46. The diagram below shows a wind vane that was constructed by pupils.
The wind vane will not work properly because
A. of using the nail as a pivot
B.✔ part Z is smaller than part Y
C. compass direction is below the pointer
D. of using the biro casing at the top.
47. Which one of the following is a source of heat?
48. In a certain investigation on sound energy, a teacher rang a bell, and then whistled as the pupils listened. Which one of the following was being investigated?
A. Types of sounds.
B.✔ Special sounds.
C. Sound pollution.
D. Direction of sound.
49. Which one of the following occiirs as a result of reflection?
A. Apparent bending of a ruler in water.
B. Formation of shadow by objects.
C. Formation of a rainbow.
D.✔ Seeing objects.
50. Which one of the following is not a reason for mulching?
A. Prevent soil erosion.
B. Prevent loss of moisture.
C.✔ Avoid strong sunlight.
D. Control growth of weeds.